Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Birch Roosters Begin


This is the way it was. Kyla showed me a TV program that she had recorded on the DIY cable channel. The show was Woodsculpting and featured Chris Lubkemann, an extraordinary whittler/wood carver. He demonstrated how to whittle roosters from small branches. Here is the book he wrote and here is my first attempt. Not beautiful, but it does look like a rooster. I work with gray birch all the time, as you know, and in fact this rooster is made from, you guessed it, my  Xmas/Valentine's tree!!! Talk about recycle! There will be many more of these to come. The key is a sharp knife. And just a pocketknife will do. The roosters are usually painted in bright colors, and mounted on something, block of wood, etc. But for a first try, I think it looks like one. You can see the work of this carver at http://www.whittlingwithchris.com/

3 comments:

Reba's Prints said...

Very nice! I'm impressed! Hope to see it soon in person.

kylascountrycrafts said...

Hi,Carolyn your rooster came out good. Can't waite to see him in person. Kyla

Anonymous said...

Impressive, Carolyn. I can see a collection of different animals like this as a real attention getter at shows! It would be fun to try this.
C.