Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Succulent Greens in Winter

I thought I'd take a break from my usual "printing posts" and share a simple way to have fresh greens during the long cold days of winter. All you need is potting soil, a container, (I used a seedling tray) and some seeds. I used sunflower seeds, but you could also use pea seeds as well. To begin, put a shallow layer, approx. 2 inches deep of damp soil in the bottom of your container, then sprinkle your seeds on top of the soil rather thickly. Put in a window (and hope for some sun!) adding a cover to keep in moisture until the seeds germinate. The warmer your window spot is the faster the seeds will grow and make sure to keep the soil moist. In about a week or so, the "shoots" will be tall and have leaves. Cut and enjoy! When you have eaten all your "shoots" take the container to your compost pile or garden and dump out the soil. It'll be a "mat" of soil held together by the roots of your shoots and start the whole process over again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look great. I am planning to do the same. We do need more sun to make them grow however, when will we see it again?